Explosive findings* from the Queensland Audit Office have revealed TAFE Queensland’s ‘financial performance is at risk because of declining student numbers’.
LNP Shadow Minister for Training and Skills Development Fiona Simpson slammed the Palaszczuk Labor Government for their mismanagement of Queensland TAFE and leading the institution onto the road of insolvency.
“Under Annastacia Palaszczuk, TAFE Queensland has spent millions on international travel, commonwealth games tickets and hospitality expenses,” Ms Simpson said.
“Instead of training our next generation of Queenslanders, Labor are using TAFE funds to splurge on focus groups and golden handshakes for ex-CEOs.
“Apprenticeship and training completion rates have dropped by nearly 40 per cent across four years under the Palaszczuk Labor Government.
“Desperate intervention is needed to get TAFE Queensland back to basics and end the training crisis.
“Annastacia Palaszczuk also recently refused $245 million in desperately-needed vocational training funding from the Federal Government under a new national partnership.
“That $245 million of vocational training funds could have been used to help young Queenslanders make a start in their careers.”
• TAFE spent $390,000 on a golden handshake for the ex-CEO that was reported to have resigned
• TAFE spent more than $100,000 on ‘brand research’
• TAFE spent $230,641 on undisclosed Commonwealth Games tickets
• TAFE’s hospitality expenses have doubled in the last three years
• In the last three years TAFE has spent over $2 million on international travel
*Queensland audit office report: