We need the State Government to keep its promise to be a government for all of Queensland and ensure funding for important Sunshine Coast projects are in the budget next Tuesday.
For our region to maintain its great liveability and lifestyle, and grow opportunities for jobs and businesses, a number of key projects and services are critical.
My budget wish list for the Sunshine Coast is:
- HOSPITAL FUNDING – we need increased funding to open about 70 more beds at Sunshine Coast University Hospital and to stop the current ambulance ramping and blow-outs in waiting times for health services.
- POLICE RESOURCES – More police resources to help keep our community safe.
- MAROOCHYDORE HIGH SCHOOL – funding to fix the dangerous bus turnaround and set down area.
- BEERWAH TO MAROOCHYDORE RAIL – It’s time for the State Government to back rail and not block rail to the Coast’s city centre. This is transformative infrastructure we need to connect us to greater SEQ and transform Sunshine Coast public transport. This infrastructure will support the growth in population and ensure the Sunshine Coast continues to be an attractive place to live with opportunities.
- SUNSHINE MOTORWAY – it must be duplicated.
- HOUSING AFFORDABILITY – The State needs to partner with private sector and community to unlock more rental properties.
- SUNSHINE COAST ENTERTAINMENT, CONVENTION AND EXHIBITION CENTRE – this is a much-needed multi-purpose centre to deepen the Coast’s economic base, grow jobs and enhance the region’s lifestyle.
- MOOLOOLABA HARBOUR SOLUTION – timely dredging and the right permanent solution for maritime safety and the environment.
I want to see the the budget next week hold some great news for the future of the Sunshine Coast and not be overlooked by the State Labor Government. The Sunshine Coast is an integral player in South-East Queensland, and as I said this time last year this needs to remembered if the ‘State Government are a Government for all of Queensland’.