The Government will double the Home Energy Emergency Assistance Scheme to $10 million, to help those most in need.
This scheme helps low income households with an emergency payment of up to $720 per annum over a two year period. For more information and to make an application, contact your energy retailer whose number appears on your energy account.
Low income households who are experiencing difficulty paying for their energy needs may also be interested to learn about the Home Energy Saver Scheme (HESS). This federally funded scheme helps community service providers to assist low income households who are struggling with electricity costs in the following ways:
- information about easy and affordable ways to use less energy in the home;
- one-on-one budgeting assistance;
- information on whether they are getting the right rebates and assistance;
- help to understand energy bills and the energy market;
- advice, advocacy and support;
- links to other services that may be able to assist them; and
- help to access no or low interest loans to purchase energy efficient appliances.
For more information, please call 1800 007 001.