Recreation and Sport Minister Steve Dickson has urged Queenslanders to ‘get moving’ with their Get Started applications, with round three to end this Friday.
Get Started is one of three programs under the Newman Government’s flagship $47.8 million Get in the Game initiative, aimed at helping to get Queenslanders get active.
Mr Dickson said round three had been overwhelmingly popular with demand nearly double that of rounds one and two.
“Round three is well on track to being our biggest Get Started round yet, and is expected to help more than 20,000 children and young people join a sport or recreation club,” Mr Dickson said.
“Due to the overwhelming demand, the round will be closing this Friday 28 February, so I strongly encourage families to apply as soon as possible.
“Vouchers are allocated on a first come, first served basis to eligible individuals, providing up to $150 to help pay club membership and participation fees.
“We have already seen some great results come through, with more than 25 per cent of successful applicants not having played club sport previously.
“We have also received an enormous response from clubs during this round of Get Started, with 3322 clubs now registered for the program, 48 of which registered just in the last month.
“Rugby league, soccer and netball clubs are proving the most popular for round three vouchers so far. “
Mr Dickson said the Queensland Government was keen to encourage more Queenslanders to get involved in sport and recreation.
“We made an election commitment to get more young Queenslanders involved in recreation and sport, and we are delivering through this highly successful program.”
For more information on Get Started, visit: www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/funding/getinthegame/getstarted