A new marine safety system has been announced for the Maroochy River.
These new recommendations are the result of two reports, public consultation and many work hours from a group of key community stakeholders.
For more information on the changes, visit www.msq.qld.gov.au.
Key elements of the new marine safety system include:
· new and improved warning signs to warn waterway users of specific hazards or obstructions
· new and improved signs for speed limits
· new speed limits of six knots for all vessels in the upper reaches of creeks
· a new speed limit of 20 knots for all vessels upstream of the David Low Bridge through shallow areas near the Wetland Sanctuary and the Bli Bli Islands
· some new water skiing prohibitions, including an area of Eudlo Creek where only boats up to 6.1m with 1 tow line may water ski on the creek.