Creating jobs by growing the economy, improving education outcomes and delivering better roads and infrastructure are among the key priorities of the Newman Government’s latest Six Month Action Plan.
Premier Campbell Newman said the July – December 2014 Six Month Action Plan being released today outlined a diverse range of initiatives to deliver on the LNP’s strong plan for a brighter future for Queensland.
“My Government is determined to ensure Queensland students have the best start in life and are equipped with the skills they need to get a job in our growing economy,” Mr Newman said.
“Over the next six months, we’ll be rolling out a range of initiatives to improve education outcomes including the first round of mentor teachers under the Great Teachers=Great Results plan, more funding to help build literacy and numeracy skills and the next round of Independent Public Schools.
“We’ll also continue to work on making Queensland a safer place to live by strengthening laws and putting more police on the beat. We’ll be delivering better infrastructure and planning in our growing regions, and we’ll be reducing red tape so businesses can get on with the job and employ more people.
“I encourage all Queenslanders to read and follow our progress on this plan to ensure the Government is held to account on the commitments we have made.”
Some of the major initiatives include:
- Release the Queensland State Infrastructure Plan
- Complete expressions of interest process for the Toowoomba Second Range Crossing project
- Announce the third round of the Fixing Our Schools Maintenance Fund
- Announce funding details for the Great Results Guarantee in 2015 to help build student literacy and numeracy skills in state schools
- Roll out the Safe Night Out Strategy to address alcohol-fuelled violence issues
- Complete child sex offender legislation review
- Start construction of the final 11.5 kilometres of the Townsville Ring road
- Deliver the third year of freezing car registration costs and roll out stickerless registration
- Deliver the ResourcesQ Partnership and Action Plan to better plan for growth in Queensland’s resources sector
“We are making significant progress as we move on from years of reckless management by Labor. Tourism is booming, jobs are being created, construction is taking off again, crime is down and health services are improving, but we are determined to do more to keep building on our strong plan,” he said.
“A brighter future is ours for the taking but only under an LNP Government with a strong plan for Queensland.”
For a copy of the latest Six Month Action Plan and previous plans, visit www.thepremier.qld.gov.au