Safety and congestion on our roads are major issues people are raising as we fight for the right infrastructure to keep our area beautiful and liveable.
It’s good to see the recently announced $5 million funding for the upgrade to the intersection of Yandina-Coolum Road, School Road and South Coolum Road but the Sunshine Motorway needs so much more work.
I want you to know about the latest request from the Department of Transport and Main Roads (TMR) into the draft plans for the duplication of the Sunshine Motorway between David Low Way interchange at Pacific Paradise to just north of Yandina-Coolum Road. There are a couple of key issues you may not be aware of so it’s important you have your say before the 26 February 2023 deadline.
Planning for the 10-kilometre motorway link includes doubling the motorway’s capacity from two to four lanes, to improve safety, reduce congestion and improve efficiency.
Considering feedback received from initial community consultation carried out in late 2021, TMR has developed a preferred option for the project which includes the following key features:
- increased motorway capacity from two to four lanes
- upgrade the Yandina-Coolum Road roundabout to a grade separated interchange
- provision for south-facing ramps at West Coolum Road
- signalisation of Yandina-Coolum Road, School Road and South Coolum Road intersection with pedestrian crossings
- a new active transport pathway adjacent to the Sunshine Motorway
- realignment of Yandina-Coolum Road, west of the motorway
- Smart Motorways infrastructure, including Variable Speed Limit Signs and CCTV cameras
- fauna fencing to provide greater protection for wildlife
- culvert and drainage improvements to improve flood immunity in low-lying areas
- additional water quality treatment devices to reduce impact on Maroochy River health.
TMR is now seeking community feedback on the preferred option for the project. This feedback will be used in future planning and design stages for the project as funding becomes available.
To view the planning layout and provide feedback, please visit TMRs project webpage at https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/projects/sunshine-motorway-mooloolaba-peregian-pacific-paradise-to-coolum-planning