The Department of Transport and Main Roads has released a funded plan to help improve this very busy intersection which has more than 20,000 vehicles passing through here everyday.
The $10 million intersection upgrade project will improve safety and capacity by adjusting lane configurations to provide more efficient access to Sugar Road and the Sunshine Motorway. The upgrade will improve traffic flow and enhance the overall operations of the Mooloolaba Road bridge over the Sunshine Motorway.
Proposed key features include:
- extending right-turn lanes in both directions on the Mooloolaba Road bridge to increase storage capacity;
- providing two dedicated left-turn lanes from Sugar Road to Mooloolaba Road;
- providing two dedicated left-turn lanes from Mooloolaba Road to Sugar Road;
- road widening to accommodate the additional lanes;
- signalised pedestrian crossings at the Mooloolaba Road and Sunshine Motorway southbound exit ramp intersection and at the Mooloolaba Road and Sugar Road intersection;
- road resurfacing;
- dedicated on-road bike lanes and an off-road bike path westbound on the bridge;
- lighting improvements.
Please see below preliminary design layout for further details.
TMR invites community feedback about this project. Stakeholders can contact the project team to have their say on the proposed intersection upgrade by 5 March 2021, by emailing the Design Team at: firstname.lastname@example.org
As part of the design process, TMR has undertaken detailed site investigations, including geotechnical testing and utility service location works. Additional investigation activities may also be carried out in the coming months. TMR will provide the community with advance notice of these works once further information is available.
Detailed design is anticipated to be completed by late 2021, with construction currently scheduled to start by mid-2022.