The Sunshine Coast Council Australia Day Awards were held on 22 March 2022.
I would like to make a special mention for winner of the Citizen of the Year, Mark Ellis. I have known Mark for many years through his work at the Maroochy Neighbourhood Centre. He has done an amazing job assisting the homeless and less fortunate, with his most recent achievement raising $200,000 for the Sunshine Coast’s (and Queensland’s) first sleep bus. To see someone as humble as Mark receive this award should truly be applauded.
The Mooloolaba Surf Lifesaving Club was also a well-deserved recipient, as they are celebrating 100 years of community service in 2022 and they play a big role in the community with its programs and events that bring tourism and dollars into the region.
The list of Australia Day winners were:
- Citizen of the Year – Mark Ellis
- Senior Citizen of the Year – James Coles
- Young Citizens of the Year – Sophie Greenhalgh & Jack Watson
- Community Group or Organisation – Mooloolaba Surf Lifesaving Club
- Environment and Sustainability – Ecollaboration
- Creative – Toni Eggleston & John Waldron (tie)
- Sport and Recreation – Dr Bridie Kean